Do I need or don’t need a portfolio?
Definition: Professional portfolio is a compilation of academic and professional overviews of projects and significant pieces of work that you’ve managed or been involved with that exemplifies your beliefs, skills, qualifications, education, and experiences.
From the projects you’ve managed to the significant pieces of work you’ve been involved in, your portfolio provides an in-depth insight into your unique methods and the impact of your work. With a well-crafted portfolio, you can demonstrate your strengths and lessons learned to anyone who hasn’t had the pleasure of working with you yet.
- Gather your materials: Gather all relevant materials, including the work samples, project reports, certifications, and any other relevant documents.
- Organize your materials: Organize your materials in a way that makes sense for your portfolio. This may include categorizing them by project type or skill set, or arranging them in some logical order. Say for an ID who does the end to end development, it could be in the lines of ADDIE beginning with the Analysis documents followed by developed courseware.
- Decide a format: Decide on a format for your portfolio. This may be a physical binder, a digital portfolio using a website or online platform, or a combination of both. Ensure that the format is well-organized, easy to navigate, and visually appealing.
- Write an introduction: Create an introduction that briefly explains who you are, what you do, and what your portfolio includes.
- Include your work samples: Include your best work samples that showcase your skills and experience. Be sure to provide context for each sample, including the project goals, your role, and any challenges you overcame. Ensure you get client approval before you share any copyrighted information.
- Add supporting materials: Consider adding supporting materials such as testimonials, awards, and recognition to help validate your skills and achievements.
- Update and maintain your portfolio: Regularly update your portfolio with new work samples, projects, and achievements. This will help keep your portfolio relevant and up-to-date.
You can reach out to me to help you with building your portfolio.